Tuesday, October 6, 2009

This Week's Challenge - TAKING CARE OF YOURSELF

So I'm sick.

And not just "oh, sniffly nose" sick.  My body is out to let me know, it seems, that I need to lay back for a while.

It all started this summer with a surprise attack of appendicitis during a weekend camping trip in northern Wisconsin.  Thankfully, there was a hospital nearby.  Also thankfully, there was an extended family nearby, who was able to help with the girls - playing with the big girl and nursing the baby when she wouldn't take formula.

The result:  emergency appendectomy.

So I "took it easy" for about a week, and then was back to the run of the mill.  But I'm still tired from all this, and my tummy is not quite the same yet.

Then, right before my brother's wedding, I get sick.  A fever, a runny nose, and an annoying tight cough that doesn't go away.  Or produce anything, either.  It subsides in time for a four hour-long overnight trip to Ohio, a mad quick set-up for the *wonderful* wedding, and then the ceremony.  But right after the ceremony, when setting up for the reception, it comes again, this time with a ferocity.

I am dizzy, lightheaded, a bit delirious, and weak in the knees.  My left breast feels like someone jammed me with his/her elbow, only that hasn't happened, and I can't stand up.  We leave the reception early and I lay in the hotel bed, feeling like you could fry an egg on my body.

I turned out that I had developed (completely unannounced) mastitis, or, in layman's terms, a breast infection.

Now, under the influence of antibiotics, I'm feeling somewhat better, but am still woozy and a bit delirious (my husband may have his own explanation of that, something about "too much time on the computer").  I went yesterday to the chiropractor to get an adjustment and get my immune system working at its best.  And today, I'm in the bed, trying to cough and rest up.

So my mission this week:  TAKE CARE OF YOURSELF.

This applies to all aspects.  My only rule is that I cannot overexert myself and that I must only do things that are GOOD for me.  This precludes things that I THINK are good for me (like eating sweets).

We shall see how it goes.

1 comment:

  1. Bahiyyih here:

    Hello sweetgrass, you cutie little newborn blog, you! I'm so happy you're here in the world!

    Very nice, Liz. I've been wanting to talk more and photograph more of what I cook because it's such an adventure with allergies, and trying to be healthy and be a good world citizen. Haven't done it yet, though. My excuse is that I do all my cooking at night when the lighting sucks.

    Canning though. I tried that for the first time this summer and had an exhilarating time making strawberry jam. I got up the guts to do it after watching a little how to video on hulu. Here's a good link for a full canning explanation with lots of pictures. thepioneerwoman.com and look under 'cooking', where there's a canning section.

    Also, a canner is just a stock pot big enough to put a bunch of jars in. Any big stock pot will do.

    (By the way, I love all your recent posts on this here blog too and there's so much to discuss about each. Great stuff!)

    ReplyDelete